power consumption da14531

Hi,

I am using da14531 and able to broadcast the beacon messages along with sensor information.
Followed the examples and ran my program without any error.
Now I would like to check the power consumption. Using my power profile it is carrying 4.4mAh peak current and average 1.2mAh. 
It is too high, how to reduce the power consumption. Are there any suggestions to reduce the current use of unwanted calls?
Please do the needful.
Regards,
Lofna
Parents
  • Hi Lofna, 

Thanks for your question. Can you please share a snapshot from the power profiler? 

In addition, please check if the flash is in power down mode. 

Best regards, 

Panos

• Hi Panos,

Thanks for your response. Please find the snapshot.

Regardsprofile

• Hi Renesas,

Please check the snapshot as you requested. This program i am running in da14531 dev pro kit

Regards,

Lofna

power consumption

• Hi Lofna,

The measurement you are conducting in the capture you shared includes parts of the adverting periods so this can affect the power consumption readings. In order to measure the extended sleep current accurately you will need to measure between advertising events(events not included). 

Nevertheless the measurement you are sharing indicates that the device is not in extended sleep as the current consumption appears to be high. Are you taking the measurements with the debugger attached? If yes, you should run the example with the debugger de-attached as the device cannot enter extended sleep when the debugger is attached.

Please also make sure that you are correctly calibrating the pro kit for power profiler measurements as mentioned in 

http://lpccs-docs.renesas.com/UM-B-083/power_profiler/powerProfiler.html#calibration-procedure

Best regards,
    AA_Renesas

• Hi Renesas,

Thanks for your suggestions.

Earlier i have shared the power consumption chart which was given as per earlier default config settings and now i changed as per above link and there is little variation?

Still the current is carrying more. Is this EVK programmer and with our smart snippet version giving the results correct or not?

find my dev kit and power consumption report.

Regards,

Lofna

• Hi Lofna,

From the shared image it appears that the consumption is closer to the expected extended sleep consumption. As mentioned above in order to measure sleep current the measuring points(red lines) should not be overlapping with the advertising events as in this case you are also measuring part of the advertising event power consumption.

Best regards,
    AA_Renesas

• Hi Renesas,

As per the above power consumption it is carrying 157uA. 

How much can expect the power consumption in extended sleep.

Regards,

Lofna

• Hi Lofna,

The average current that you see on the info (0.15773 mA) is the average current counting the advertising segments too. This is not a measurement of the extended sleep current. 

This number as highlighted in your capture above (0.0424mA) is the extended sleep current that you are measuring. As I have mentioned in a previous comment your two measuring points overlap with the advertising events so you are also measuring part of the advertising event power consumption. Your extended sleep measurement should look something like the capture below

with an average extended sleep current ~1.8 uAs. In order to get this reading, to ensure that the SPI flash is not consuming at the same time you can remove the SPI flash jumpers from header J1 of the pro development kit to conduct the measurements (jumpers at J1-2, J3-4, J5-6,  J7-8, J9-10)

Best regards,
    AA_Renesas

• Hi Renesas,
    Thanks for your response.
    Ok, I got it. But the average current is taking per one Hour, right?
    For my battery calculation based on above board consumption, what is the life of my battery
    My battery rating is CR2032 (220mAh) & CR2477 (1000mAh) two models? could explain the battery calculation based on my power chart?
    Regards,
    Lofna
  • Hi Lofna,

Please refer to 

http://lpccs-docs.renesas.com/UM-B-083/tools/lifetime_estimator.html

for a short guide on using the battery lifetime estimator utility of our SmartSnippets Toolbox. You can fill in values according to your specific project requirements and calculate an estimation for the battery lifetime.

Best regards,
    AA_Renesas

• Hi Renesas,

I understood your point. But still I have doubts.

As per above link and checked in my smart snippet tool box, The battery calculations are based on theoretical with beacon transmission consumption. And what about the other sensor peripheral related load and firmware logic current including in the fill in the blanks?

Regards,

Lofna

• Hi Renesas,

Due to switch dependency when defined :ARCH_EXT_SLEEP_ON, i am not getting on my peripherals. 

That too i am checking my button holding time like long press and short press pulses detection while in timer service.

How can I get from sleep to wake up with gpios? I tried the suggested example, but did not wake up. only advertisement's are working. Are other peripherals in shutoff mode?

Regards,

lofna

• Hi Renesas,

Due to switch dependency when defined :ARCH_EXT_SLEEP_ON, i am not getting on my peripherals. 

That too i am checking my button holding time like long press and short press pulses detection while in timer service.

How can I get from sleep to wake up with gpios? I tried the suggested example, but did not wake up. only advertisement's are working. Are other peripherals in shutoff mode?

Regards,

lofna

Children